Beef and bean taco platter
- small corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- 1 pound mince meat or ground beef
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large onion diced into small pieces
- 1 bell pepper diced into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup prepared red salsa of choice
- 1 can beans black beans or kidney beans are good options. Make sure there is no salt added
- 1 large tomato diced into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado mashed
- 1 cup lettuce of choice shredded or cut into small pieces
- Heat the cooking oil in a large sauté pan. Add the diced onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook until they are tender.
- Add in the mince meat and continue to cook until it is no longer pink.
- Stir in the salsa, cumin, and chili powder.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a serving bowl.
- Divide the rest of the toppings into small bowls – the beans, diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, yogurt, avocado, and lettuce.
- Warm the tortillas by wrapping them in foil and heating in the oven (300F) for 5-7 minutes. Or you can warm them in the microwave oven by wrapping them in a towel and heating for 20-30 seconds.
- Place all of the ingredients on a large serving board or baking tray.
- Serve on the table and let the kids build their own tacos.
- Spread the avocado mash on to a tortilla and roll it up for the baby to eat and chew on.
- Babies obviously cannot enjoy a constructed taco, but they will love having an assortment of items on their plate to choose from. All of these items are baby safe. Some additional options you might want to consider are corn (for 6 months or older), diced sweet potato, and rice.
- For adults, you can easily make this a healthy salad meal. Simply add more greens and use your favorite dressing. I personally love mixing together Greek yogurt, lime juice, avocado, salt, and pepper together to drizzle over my taco salads.