Date and walnut muffins
- 1 cup dried dates pitted
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup butter or olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- Soak the dates in ½ cup warm water for 20-30 minutes, then grind them to a smooth paste.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or 220°C.
- In a bowl, mix the egg, butter, vanilla, and date paste (all wet ingredients).
- In a separate bowl, mix well the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add this mix of dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time and fold them in.
- Add the roughly chopped walnuts and mix again.
- Do not overmix the batter as it makes the muffins dense.
- Line a tray with muffin liners and pour 1 scoop in each mold. The batter should yield 15-16 regular-size muffins or around 20-22 mini muffins.
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on the rack for 10 minutes and serve.