Egg-chila (Savory Indian pancakes)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp chili powder skip if your kid cannot handle spicy food
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds or cumin powder
- 2 tsps oil or butter
- water as needed
- Mix rice and chickpea flour together with the salt, chili powder, turmeric, and cumin. I sometimes skip rice flour and replace it with whole wheat flour to change the taste, but it also changes the texture and consistency as rice flour binds more than whole wheat flour.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl and add the dry mixture to them.
- Add some water until it has a slightly runny consistency.
- Grate your favorite vegetables and mix into the batter if you want to sneak in some veggie goodness.
- You can also make a puree of vegetables and mix it into the batter. You will then need to adjust the amount of water in the batter.
- Set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a pan (cast iron or non-stick) and add butter to melt.
- Pour a ladle full of the batter and spread on the pan evenly to a thin crepe-like thickness.
- Let it cook on one side for around 1-2 minutes.
- Remove it carefully from the pan and flip to cook on the other side.
- Let it cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve with mint chutney or tomato ketchup.