Fish curry and rice
- 2 fillets fish of your choice
- 2 Tbsps oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup coconut milk you can replace it with regular milk or stock
- water as needed
- Cut the fish into cubes. Heat half of the oil in a pan and sear the fish, flipping the pieces halfway to ensure they are evenly cooked.
- Remove the fish from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the rest of the oil, then add the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the onion and crushed garlic and saute for a couple of minutes until the onions turn slightly brown and the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook for a few more minutes. Keep stirring and press it against the bottom and sides of the pan to squish and mash it properly.
- Add the spices (salt, cayenne, turmeric, and coriander powder) and mix. Let it cook for one more minute. Avoid pepper if you're cooking for kids.
- Add the coconut milk, mix well, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- If necessary, add some water and cook for a bit longer.
- Put the fish pieces in the curry and remove the pan from the flame.
- Serve with boiled rice or roti/naan. This curry also goes well with white bread.