Green mac and cheese
Green food packed with added nutrition. Perfect for sneaking vegetables into your kid's food.
Servings: 5 family members
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta shells
- ½ head cauliflower cut into small pieces
- ½ head broccoli cut into small pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tbsps butter
- 2 Tbsps all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower by using a steam basket or microwave. Steam the vegetables until they are very tender (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add the milk, broccoli, and cauliflower in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Melt the butter on medium heat in a saucepot. Add the flour to create a roux or thickening paste. Whisk the flour and the butter together to create a paste and until it has a nutty fragrance. It should not get too brown.
- Whisk in the “green milk” and stir very well until it starts to thicken.
- Allow the mixture to simmer gently and season with the nutmeg and black pepper.
- Gently stir in the shredded cheese.
- Transfer the macaroni to a large bowl. Pour the cheese mixture over the noodles and stir to evenly coat.
- You can now serve the macaroni and cheese just like this or you can add panko bread crumbs to the top for an added crunch (for the big kids and adults).
Other serving options:
- Make this recipe twice as large and portion half of the macaroni and cheese into a freezer-friendly baking dish and freeze to re-heat on another day. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and be sure to label and date the meal. Simply thaw overnight and reheat in the oven (350°F/175°C) for 30-40 minutes before serving.
- Portion the macaroni and cheese into silicone muffin pans and freeze for an easy lunch idea. Place the pan in the freezer until the macaroni and cheese is frozen solid. Once they are frozen, remove from the pan and store in a gallon freezer bag or container and remove each serving as you need it. They can easily heat up in the microwave in 3-5 minutes.
Calories: 596kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 323mg | Potassium: 723mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1032IU | Vitamin C: 82mg | Calcium: 395mg | Iron: 4mgPrint Recipe