Lemon, chicken, and chickpea soup
- 1 pound boneless. skinless chicken breast cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ Tbsp raw honey
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 quart low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas or 14-5 ounces. Drained
- 2 cups spinach raw
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and honey and allow the garlic to get golden brown but be careful not to burn it.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until they are tender.
- Add the chicken and dried herbs. Cook with the onion, carrot, and celery mixture.
- Pour the chicken stock and drained chickpeas into the pot. Let the mixture simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Finally, add the spinach, lemon juice, and lemon zest. The soup is now ready to serve.
Instant Pot cooking option
- Set Instant Pot to sauté setting and sauté the oil, garlic, honey, carrots, celery, onions, and herbs.
- Add the uncooked chicken and chickpeas.
- Add the stock.
- Put the top on the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is in the sealing position.
- Using the manual cooking option, set the timer for 10 minutes. (It will take about 10 minutes for the pressure to build up.)
- Once the cooking is done, quickly release the pressure valve.
- Season with salt and pepper. Finally, stir in the spinach, lemon juice, and lemon zest.