Make-ahead beef and bean burritos (freezer-friendly and dairy-free)
- 1 lb ground beef 10% fat is best or substitute ground turkey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed. Can substitute white beans or pinto beans
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 cups kale or spinach. chopped fine
- 1 cup quinoa cooked. Can substitute cooked lentils or barley
- ½ cup salsa
- salt and pepper
- 8 whole grain flour tortillas
- avocado and salsa for serving
- Heat large sauté pan to medium-high heat. Drizzle the olive oil into the pan.
- Add the ground beef and cook until brown. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the black beans and bell pepper. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Season with the cumin.
- Turn off the heat and fold in the chopped greens, quinoa, and salsa.
- Season with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Fill each tortilla with about ½ cup of the beef mixture. Roll up and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place the individually wrapped tortillas in a large freezer-friendly bag.
- Store in the freezer and pull out each burrito as you need them.
- Remove the aluminum foil, when you're ready to eat, and heat in a microwave for 1-2 minutes or until it’s fully heated through. Cover with a damp piece of paper towel.
- Serve with avocado and salsa, if desired.