A flexible and simpler version of the traditional mole recipe as the authentic formula calls for a long list of Mexican ingredients in mole that are not easily available in every country.
- 1 Tbsp lard or oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 4 tomatoes ground to a paste. You can also use store bought puree
- chili or chili powder to taste. Avoid if your kid doesn’t eat chili
- mixed powdered spices to taste cinnamon, cumin, clove, pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp chocolate or cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsps peanut butter
- raisins or maple syrup, as needed. For sweetness
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes/puree and chilis (if using) and cook for few more minutes.
- Add raisins and cook for 8 to 10 minutes more till everything is cooked and mushy.
- Remove from flame. Using an immersion blender, blend this mixture till smooth.
- Put it back on the flame and add chicken broth, flour (mixed with 1 tablespoon water or stock), peanut butter, chocolate, salt, and maple syrup (if using instead of raisins).
- Simmer it for 15 minutes so that it is cooked well and reduced.
- Remove from flame and enjoy!
Since I live in the part of the world where the odds of finding Mexican chilis for this mole easy recipe is the same as finding a needle in a haystack, I have to use locally available chilis (which are too hot for kids, and I avoid adding chilis altogether most of the time when cooking for my girls). Also, instead of shredded tortillas, I use flour/cornstarch to get a thick consistency. I have easy access to some of the whole spices such as cinnamon, clove, and cumin which I prefer adding to my sauce as these ingredients in mole are good for health and immunity. You can adjust the quantity, depending on how much spice your kid can handle. And of course, replace crushed peanuts with your very own peanut butter.
Calories: 712kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 1214mg | Potassium: 2425mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 4866IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 4mgPrint Recipe