Mini fish pies
This recipe turns everyone's favorite fish pie into bite-sized portions. Your toddler can enjoy it as finger food or a snack.
- 3 potatoes
- 1 cup peas
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream optional
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 fillets fish salmon or cod
- 1 Tbsp parsley finely chopped
- Peel the potatoes and boil them.
- When they are done, drain the water and mash them well.
- Boil separately the carrots and peas.
- Drain the water, add them to the potatoes and mash them together.
- Mix some salt and pepper and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the shallot and the garlic, and saute for a minute.
- Put the flour in and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the milk a little at a time and whisk well to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the cream and the salt and pepper mix.
- Keep stirring energetically until the sauce thickens and is properly cooked.
- Add the mustard, the cheese, and the fish (flaked or cut into small strips).
- Grease generously the cupcake tray and scoop a spoonful of fish filling into each mold.
- Top each with a layer of mashed potatoes.
- Slide into the preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes (until the fish is cooked and the crust is golden brown).
- When done, let the pies cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
You can make a bigger batch and freeze some of the mini pies in a zip-lock bag. When you decide to serve those, first thaw and heat in the microwave until the pies are warm inside.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 643mg | Potassium: 959mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3576IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 2mgPrint Recipe