Red lentils with rice
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 cups water
- 1 chopped tomato
- 2 tsps salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp ghee optional but highly recommended
- Wash the lentils.
- Heat a pot and pour the olive oil in it.
- When the oil is hot, add the cumin and mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Drain the soaked lentils and add them to the pot.
- Add 3 cups of water and the chopped tomato and stir.
- Add the salt, paprika, and turmeric powder and stir again.
- Bring the dish to a boil, then cover it and let it simmer on low-medium flame for 15-20 mins, until the lentils are cooked completely.
- Check for salt and adjust the consistency. It should be neither too watery/runny nor too thick (paste-like).
- Remove the pot from the flame. Add freshly squeezed lime juice and a dollop of butter or ghee.
- Let the soup sit covered for 5 minutes and serve warm with boiled rice or naan bread.