Rustic mashed potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2¾ cups whole milk
- white pepper
- Make sure the potatoes are even in size. If you need to, cut some in half so that all of the pieces are evenly sized.
- Place the potatoes into a large pot, cover them with water, and add a tablespoon of salt.
- Cook the potatoes for 25-30 minutes or until they are very tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the butter and milk until the butter melts. Be sure not to scald the milk.
- When the potatoes are done, carefully drain the water out of the pot. In the same pot, mash the potatoes to a creamy mixture.
- Gently fold in the milk and butter mixture and season with salt and white pepper.
- Serve immediately. If you want to make these ahead of time, scoop the mashed potatoes into a baking dish and hold them in a warm oven (150F) until serving time.