Split red lentils with rice
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups water or more
- Wash the lentils and soak for 10-15 minutes. If you don't have enough time for soaking, you can skip it. It will then need more time to cook, though.
- In a pot, heat the oil. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add onions and sauté for a minute. No need to brown the onions; cook until it softens.
- Add tomato and cook for another minute or two.
- Add salt and turmeric and mix well.
- Add lentils and water. Bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat. Let it simmer covered for 10-15 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- Adjust the amount of water depending on the consistency you desire.
- Mix it with a ladle and press gently to break the lentils. This makes the consistency smoother and thicker.
- Serve it with rice.