Sugar cookie frosting
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- food coloring of choice
- Cream together the shortening and the vanilla extract either by hand or in a blender.
- Gradually add about 8 cups of the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. There may be some extra in case you need to alter the consistency. Alternate each cup of sugar with about a tablespoon of whole milk.
- Mix together until you get a creamy consistency. If you are using a piping bag, you may want something a little creamier (more liquid). If you want it to be spreadable, you may want it to be a bit thicker.
- The frosting can be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for a few days. Divide it into separate bowls and color as you wish with the food coloring.