Do you remember what it was like to get your first period? Like me, you probably have a story that is equal parts exciting and traumatizing. I remember seeking assistance from the school nurse. After mumbling a few words, which I don’t remember quite frankly because I was too scared, she handed me a sanitary towel about the size of a diaper.
We’ve come a long way since. Nowadays, pads are much thinner, tampons have become commonplace, and new remedies such as period undies and menstrual cups are all the rage. What can I say? It’s a good era to be alive with a period.
Now the one thing I wish I’d known before getting my first period is how to get prepared. It makes the process a little less stressful and easier to manage. Arm yourself with the right information and, more importantly, get your hands on a period starter kit. If you have a daughter or sister who is fast approaching her first menstrual cycle, consider buying her one of these handy first period kits.
The Penny Pack Kit
Despite being a fact of life, there’s still a lot of stigma surrounding periods. The Penny Pack was created to open up a conversation on the same between parents and their daughters. The first period kit empowers young girls by providing the most important things they’ll need during this time.
Inside you will find:
- A girl’s guide: If you have any burning questions about periods, this is the guide to read. After all, it was written by a preteen (and then edited by a pediatrician). It details everything there is to know about periods, from its definition to hands-on hacks for choosing and using pads.
- There’s Something New About You: A book that offers valuable tips from world-renowned doctors Melissa Holmes, MD and Trish Hutchinson, MD.
- Get-ready kit: There’s also a light clutch packed with essentials, such as organic cotton tampons and pads.
- Customized hand-written note: If you’re buying this for your daughter’s first period, you can craft a message or note to give it that mom’s personal touch.
- Penny Pack app: Once you buy this period starter kit, you will also get exclusive access to this application. The app acts as an on-going guide, offering period-related resources and tools.
My First Period Sampler Kit
Are you looking to buy an all-inclusive first period kit for tweens? If you are, My First Period Sampler Kit is one of the most comprehensive. No other kit comes close to having 100+ items. So even though it’s slightly more expensive, it’s worth every dime.
- 28 U by Kotex Teen sanitary pads.
- 48 liners, 28 pads, and 2 wipes from Always Radiant.
- 3 disposal bags from Scensibles.
- A carrying bag in the color and style of your choosing.
Lefresh Organic Period Kit for Girls
Lefresh Organic Teen Variety Pack Period Kit is the perfect kit for a girl’s first period for anyone interested in buying from a company that thinks beyond their income stream. From the products to the packaging, it’s evident that Lefresh cares for the environment just as much as they do young girls.
The bundle includes:
- Sanitary towels.
- Panty liners.
- Overnight maxi pads.
All three are made from organic cotton, making them naturally absorbent and breathable. For the packaging, the manufacturer uses an eco-friendly non-woven fabric.
Tested by professional dermatologists, Lefresh products are safe for all women, skin types, and menstrual problems.
The Dot Girl First Period Kit
Are you looking for a simple, no-frills period kit for middle school? If so, The Dot Girl First Period Kit, which comes in a stylish blue pouch, is your best bet. What we like most is its compact size. It’s big enough to hold a couple of essentials, but it’s also small enough to remain discrete.
Inside the pouch, you’ll find:
- The Dot Girl First Period answer book: A 20 page book providing answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding periods.
- My period diary: This will help her keep tabs on her cycles for the first year. It’s included in the answer book.
- The Dot Girl warm pad: This heating pad will be a lifesaver when she starts experiencing cramps. It gets hot enough to soothe cramps but not too hot that it burns the skin.
- Others: 5 disposal bags, 5 hygiene pads, and 2 hand wipes to complete the set.
Thinx BTWN Fresh Start Period Kit
Apart from cramps and weird cravings, one other thing your preteen daughter might be scared of when it comes to periods is staining their clothes. Luckily, there’s a solution for that.
Enter period undies. These look and feel like regular underwear. But, they have another layer of fabric, which either works as a pad or offers extra protection to prevent leaks.
That said, the Thinx Period Underwear Set makes for an excellent first period gift. It’s designed with moisture-wicking and highly absorbent materials to keep you cool and dry even during a heavy flow. Plus, these undergarments can be worn alone or alongside tampons or menstrual cups for added protection.
Elecc First Period Kit for Girls
Elecc Period Starter Kit is perfect for young girls. It includes an array of period-related items, which come tucked away in a discreet blue or pink pouch. One of the things you’re sure to love about this kit is that the items are carefully chosen to suit a teen or preteen experiencing her first period.
For instance, the sanitary pads are ultra thin. It means they’re less “bulky” hence more comfortable to wear. As a bonus, it also implies that they won’t be seen through tight clothing. The pads are also highly absorbent and don’t contain any fragrances.
The extra undergarment included in the kit is also of high quality. It’s made solely from cotton to provide comfort and breathability. This period starter kit also comes with a menstrual heat patch (to offer relief from cramps), cleansing wipes, and a waterproof period bag.
First Period Kit to-go!
First period kits are generally inexpensive, so you can even buy 2. Your daughter can then keep one in her school locker and the other at home. An excellent option for this is this 2-pack girls first period kit by the brand Be Prepared. Period.
Each kit comes with:
- 2 organic pads.
- 2 MaskIT feminine disposal pouches.
- An organic panty liner.
- A feminine wipe.
But the best part about each kit is the pouch it comes in. The sequin travel bags look so stylish that they can easily pass as makeup pouches.
If your daughter is in her preteen years, now is a good time to start talking to her about her first period. You can never be certain of when it will happen, although there may be signs she is about to start her period—and she could end up experiencing it while she’s at school. In case she does, she’ll feel less stressed if she’s armed with the right information and tools.
Think about buying her a first period kit. The items included in these kits usually vary between brands. Still, most contain a few teen-size sanitary pads, spare underwear, disposal bags, and wipes.
If the kit doesn’t include one already, buy her a period bag for school as well. This is a compact and discreet pouch where she can pack all these essential items. Help your daughter transition into womanhood by getting her the ultimate period starter kit.