Having to keep our distance from others during quarantine can be difficult, especially when we want to take the little ones out.
Let’s face it: they need some fresh air and room to run about, and we need a little bit of quiet time. Sadly, right now it is best to keep away from outdoor play areas and slides, so what can we do outdoors with the kids while maintaining social distance?
Old classics like a picnic, kite flying, or playing ball at the park are great, but what about some new ideas that maybe you haven’t tried before? Here is a list of things that we have tried successfully, and I hope that you and your little one will enjoy them too. All of these can be played in the park, an open field, or even your backyard.
Keeping it (relatively) clean and tidy?
- Take a bottle of bubbles out and let the little one chase them around the park. If you happen to have a bubble machine laying around from last year’s birthday party, all the better. Dust it off then let the bubbles fly as you relax watching the little one have a ball. Be warned though, I have found that our dogs love to play this too!
- Pick a favorite toy to play hide and seek in the park. A large plastic dinosaur or doll is great for this, as it can be easily spotted and washed if it ends up taking a mud bath. Have the little one cover their eyes as you or an older sibling hide the toy. Help them count to ten. Then let them loose to find their hidden friend.
- Make a game of flower hunting. Write down a few colors of local flowers on a piece of paper, or just make them up as you go. Let the little one see how many they can find of each color, and watch them squeal with excitement every time they find one. You can even turn them into collages when you get home.
Don’t mind a mess?
- Fill up some water guns, or balloons and have a water fight. No one said these can only be done in the backyard. We had a great time shooting around trees and through bushes. Just remember to collect any popped balloons so no animals eat them. If you have a little money to spare you can even buy a giant water balloon off Amazon to play with…and maybe let the little one have a shot too.
- Go fishing at home. Fill up a large bowl or a plastic bin or tub with water and bath toys. Next make some makeshift fishing poles, by tying a loop in yarn and attaching the other end to a big stick. Now it is time to fish out as many toys as you can, and see if you have an angling ace on your hands.
Lastly remember if you are lucky enough to have a hot sunny day, keep rubbing on the sunscreen, and drink lots of water.